Monday, May 18, 2009

Croutons

What do you do when you have stale bread buns that no one wants to eat? Why, you make croutons of course.

I don't have a real recipe for croutons but the basic idea goes like this....

1. Dice up the stale bread.
2. Toss the cubes in a mixture of melted butter and various spices
3. Bake the lot on a baking sheet at 350-375 about 15 minutes or until toasted, tossing about 5 minutes in.


The fun comes in when you experiment with the spices. I have had success with the following: salt, pepper, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, Maggi, Worchestershire Sauce, seasoning salt, curry powder, cilantro, and cayenne (not all at once mind you LOL).

However, I did NOT find success when I tried adding honey. I really enjoy a little saltiness in my desserts but apparently adding a little sweetness to a traditionally salty dish does not produce the same level of taste enjoyment. The honey seemed to counteract all of the other spices. It didn't overpower the taste of the croutons so much as just cancel the power of the other flavors.

Lesson learned... a little salt in sugar is good; a little sugar in salt is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment