Friday, October 23, 2009

Cupcakes: Shaken, Not Stirred

Thanks for my dearest sister for another great blog posting. Here it is....

************************************************************************

Anyone who has followed my guest posts knows that I don’t like putting a lot of time or effort into cooking. If the instructions are longer than Take it out of the box and put it in the oven, I’m probably not going to make it.

So I was really interested to try the new Shaker cupcakes from Dr. Oetker. (They also have Shaker muffins, but I’m not a big muffin fan. Cupcakes on the other hand…)

My first thought is that these things are environmentally irresponsible - the plastic container will be used once and then outlast our entire species. Let’s take a moment and hail the recycling programs that turn these things into sweaters and picnic tables! Yay recycling!

Moving on. Making these cupcakes was easy as pie. :) Pour in some milk (you don’t even measure it, just pour until you reach the fill line on the container), shake, and pour into a cupcake pan. I was impressed how perfectly the batter filled exactly 6 cups. But it brings up another drawback of this product – for $3 you get only 6 cupcakes. If you’re a cupcake connoisseur, you may go broke.

Pop them in the oven for 22 minutes, let them cool, frost them, and voila! Cupcakes: shaken but not stirred. :)

Of course, I didn’t make frosting because that requires work. And why make something when Betty Crocker is perfectly willing to make it for you? I also used drizzle icing left over from the mocha brownies experiment.

And the taste… Yum! Good chocolate flavour and light, fluffy texture. The frosting was especially good, lol.

I would recommend the Shaker cupcakes if you need a small batch of cupcakes quickly, don’t mind spending $3 for such a small batch, and are good about rinsing and recycling your plastic.

1 comment:

  1. I have always wondered if these were any good. The thing I like about them, is that I can make a whole batch and by the time my family has each had some they are gone. Then I don't have them sitting around with me feeling the desire to eat the rest of them.... lol.

    ReplyDelete