Monday, October 19, 2009

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

This blog post is the creation of my BFF, Skottie. Skottie and I go way back but we've never spent any significant time in the kitchen together. So it was news to me that deep down, in the shadows of Skottie's heart, lies a master baker. Let's learn from Skottie the baker together, shall we? Take it away, Skottie.......

***************************************************************************

The awesome Foodiestudent has asked me to be a guest on her blog a couple times but I haven't done it yet. I recently promised my co-workers I'd bake them something for our next team meeting so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to show my culinary fortitude on the blog.

I love baking cookies. They're quite easy to make and they taste very good. The cookie monster in me decided that it was time to make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies. I've made this recipe once before but this time I decided to experiment a bit.

One of my favorite spices for sweet dishes is cinnamon. I ran this idea by Foodie and she thought that it might not go over very well with chocolate. She suggested that I swap the chocolate for raisins. For those of you that know me well, you'll know that raisins are just WRONG. They do not belong in any cooked dish. I stayed true to my desire to add cinnamon with the chocolate chips.

Here's a link to the base recipe I started with: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oatmeal-Chip-Cookies/Detail.aspx

I rarely do this, but for all you followers out there, I carefully measured out all of the ingredients and put them in colourful bowls. I think this is the first time I've used some of these bowls. If you look very carefully you can see a bit of cinnamon on the plate. I didn't want to overpower the recipe so I started with a small amount. There are 2 ingredients missing. One ended up in the cookies, the other did not. Can you guess what's missing?

The first step of the recipe is to cream together all of the "wet ingredients". Yes foodie students, sugar can be considered a wet ingredient! This results in a brown gooey mixture that tastes like heaven.

After that, you're supposed to fold in the dry ingredients. Usually I don't use oats in my cookies. After mixing it all together, I noticed that this recipe is quite dry due to the oats.

Here's a shot of my well-used cookie sheet with an awesome invention on top of it: Silpat. Silpat is a silicone baking sheet that prevents things like cookies from sticking. It's works wonders and makes for easy cleanup too.

Some of my co-workers say that my cookies look very professional. They're all the same size and shape (usually but you'll see later on that's not so true this time). I do this by carefully by measuring the amount of cookie dough using a measuring spoon as shown in the photo.

Here you can see a picture of the baked cookies. Is your mouth watering yet?? Being a semi-professional pastry chef (I've taken one class), I know I must taste my creation. I tasted one of each batch. I prefer a cookie that's crispy on the outside but gooey in the middle. The first batch was just like that. Yummmmm. The subsequent batches were less gooey -- more on the dry side. And one batch was over cooked because I wasn't paying attention. That will teach me a lesson. I had a timer on and didn't hear it go off because I was busy browsing the interwebs.

I took the cookies to work in a fancy package: a ziploc bag. I challenged my co-workers to guess which ingredient was missing (vanilla) and which was added (cinnamon). One person said nothing was missing and that they were perfect as-is. No one could guess the missing ingredient without some hints. I also learned that I didn't add enough cinnamon. No one was able to guess that it was there. Other quotes: "Excellent!" "These would win at a bake off". Overall a success. Next time I'll add more cinnamon and ensure that they aren't too dry.

***************************************************************************

Thanks for an awesome post Skottie. And yeah, my mouth is totally watering. I'm going to have to make some of these cookies. My stomach demands it. :)

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! Now I want cookies.... hmmm. Probably not going to happen unless you feel the urge to bring me some (FS... not Skottie - no offence to your fab cookies, but they might be a bit stale by the time they travel across 4 provinces :P)

    I actually LOL when I read the last post about forgetting your password... so something I would do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is awesome! I want more guest posts from Skottie.

    I love the idea of cinnamon in choc-chip cookies. I'm going to try that. I once tried a specialty chocolate bar with cinnamon in it and it was yummy.

    Sarah - when will we see a guest post from you? Although, maybe you're a little preoccupied with your 2.8 children... ;)

    ReplyDelete