Friday, August 7, 2009

Dessert Pizza

I am determined to find a great strawberry and cream cheese dessert. Strawberries are in season and cream cheese is on sale. And frankly... yum yum yum!


Meet store bought naan. This is not the light, airy, tandoori oven, tasty naan of Indian restaurants. It's is a very poor cousin. However, it makes a really great base to individual pizzas. And in this case, dessert pizza.

I mixed some diced strawberries with a little sugar. In retrospect I should have used a bowl in a contrasting colour for this picture. This is why I am foodiestudent instead of foodieexpert ;)

And this container contains a little melted butter and oats. There may have been some brown sugar too. It's been so long. I'm starting to understand the downside of writing up a blog post weeks after taking the pictures.

Here's the naan, topped with strawberries, topped with the oat mixture. Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's brown sugar in there.

I baked the dessert pizza in a 350 degree oven, just as I would for regular individual pizzas. I put it on a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet before baking as it makes the crust nice and crispy underneath instead of making it soggy underneath.

This was especially important in this recipe as the strawberries had lots of liquid in them and if they didn't have a way to drain away the crust would have become a mushy mess. If I hadn't used quite so many strawberries this wouldn't have been as much of an issue. But I did. Hindsight. Let's move on.

This is leftover cream cheese frosting from a batch of cinnamon rolls. By the way, I LOVE cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. How did I ever have leftovers? Oh well, the important thing is that I had leftovers as without them I wouldn't have been able to do the next step.

I took some cream cheese frosting and mixed it with a little milk.

Frosting + Milk = Glaze

Glaze was preferable to frosting as I wanted just a thin layer to drizzle over and fancy up the dessert pizza.

Witness......

This was good but didn't keep very well. If you didn't eat it soon after it came out of the oven it was a lost cause. The liquid from the strawberries seeped into the crust more and more as time went on and made it too mushy to be enjoyable. Luckily, that wasn't a problem as we ate most of it at once :)

The naan was a nice non-sweet base (as there was sugar in every other layer, this was important). The strawberries were good if a little liquidy. The oats gave a nice heartiness and crunch. And the glaze added the final touch of sweetness to ensure one was aware they were eating dessert and not a main course :)

5 comments:

  1. Ok... yum!!!

    Yippee for alfrado sauce posts!!!

    I also thought of another request. Homemade Butter Chicken!!! I have tried a few recipes... none of which made me happy, and most used store bought sauce with "extras" added in. I love the butter chicken at Taj, but have been dissappointed with other ones. Just a thought if you were looking for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This is why I am foodiestudent instead of foodieexpert ;)"
    "Hindsight. Let's move on."
    "Witness......" (a la Norm from Cheers, iirc)

    omg you're adorable. I love this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Can I have your recipe for cream cheese frosting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can have the recipe.... check back for a blog posting with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, it's like a tv show that ends with a cliffhanger so you have to tune in next time to find out what happens. Cool. I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete