Friday, August 21, 2009

Puff Pastry Appetizer

A few days ago I blogged about making a puff pastry appetizer for a party. It was a totally made up recipe and I was quite proud of it so I made it again just for you to see, and maybe drool over ;)

Hello little puff pastry square. Welcome back into my life. I have missed you so. But the honeymoon is over and now I have to destroy you... mwa ha ha ha!

You are now a flatter version of your former self.

The box says to roll the square out to 12" X 12" but I got a little carried away and this was more like 15" X 15".

Then I took some pecans and gave them a rough chop. No need to make them smaller than this... we're looking for some crunch here, not pecan dust.

I placed 1/2 a block of cream cheese in the middle of the rolled out puff pastry. Then I topped it with the chopped pecans. Some overflowed... it's all good :)

Then I topped the whole pile with some brown sugar.... about 4 or 5 tablespoons. This looks like a lot of brown sugar but it really wasn't. It added some sweetness to the appetizer but definitely wasn't too much.

Then I brought the corners together at the top and pressed them together. I sealed any other openings by pressing the pastry together. A little water helps if the pastry is reluctant to cooperate. This made a nice sealed package so nothing could ooze out prematurely.

I sprayed the baking sheet with Pam but I doubt it was really necessary. And I love that this is small enough to bake in the toaster oven.

And here it is all toasty brown on top. Yum yum yum.

I cut open the pastry appetizer so you could see the innards but it's a little hard to see. You can see the cream cheese in the middle and there's a glimpse of the caramel (cooked brown sugar) and pecans on the left.

Lessons learned (as I am foodiestudent I have much to learn and take lessons away with every experiment):
  1. The puff pastry box says unless you have a recipe, to bake the pastry at 425. However, as this recipe has a filling I think it would have worked better at about 400 for a slightly longer cooking time. The cream cheese would have had a better chance to melt and there were pockets of brown sugar that hadn't melted enough to be a caramel sauce so a little longer time in the oven would have rectified that.
  2. The puff pastry rolled out was easily large enough for a whole 250g box of cream cheese to be used in the recipe.
  3. This is a rich recipe so don't try to eat it all by yourself. The first few bites were very good but after that I felt obligated to eat it because it was so good but I felt very blah after a while because it was so heavy.
Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it yourself....

Cream Cheese Pastry Appetizer

1 sheet/block of frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 250g block of cream cheese (regular or light)
1/3 cup pecans, rough chopped
1/4 - 1/3 cup brown sugar
3 - 4 apples, sliced
lemon juice

Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees. Roll out the puff pastry to about 12" X 12". Place the cream cheese on the center of the pastry. Top with pecans and brown sugar.

Bring corners of pastry up to the top of the cheese mound. Seal together in a decorative fashion using a drop or two of water if needed.

Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until toasty brown on top. Serve with sliced apples drizzled with lemon juice (to keep them from discoloring).

2 comments:

  1. Another great post. I have a request though. Sometimes when you're showing ingredients (like the block of puff pastry in the first photo), could you include something else in the picture for size context? You could use a ruler if you want to be really measury about it, but even a spoon or something would give us an idea of the size of it. Thank you for considering my request. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This thing was DELISH!!!!! Might have to go make one now... lol! If I include the baby, can I call it two people eating? Then I can have it all to myself!

    ReplyDelete