Monday, August 3, 2009

I'm back with more dessert experiments

I have been a bad bad girl.... Foodiestudent hasn't been updated in about 6 weeks. I have no excuse, at least no GOOD excuse, for my absence. But I've been prodded by some loyal blog readers and I'm back. I have a few experiments already documented with pictures, they just need write ups. This is the first of those.....

I peeked in the fridge and cupboard and brought these items out as the potential ingredients. Salt, flour, brown sugar, butter, oats, crescent rolls, cream cheese, and strawberries.

The only crescent rolls I had on hand were multigrain... not typically the stuff desserts are made of. But here at foodiestudent, we roll with the punches ;)

I took one crescent roll triangle, placed a small slice of cream cheese on the fat end and topped with some diced strawberries.

I then rolled them up and placed them in a non-stick sprayed casserole dish.

Then Vince decided to "help" by picking up the camera and taking a self portrait. This'll teach him to do that while I'm foodiestudenting :)

And here they are all lined up and pretty. Also topped with a few extra diced strawberries.

The rolls were then topped with oats for a bit of crunch. I likes me some crunch I do :)

I melted some butter and brown sugar and poured it over the rolls. Then they were baked until golden brown.....

These were pretty good. It's rare that an experiment works well on the first try but this one ranked quite high.

Lessons learned from this experiment:

1. Don't take pictures of ingredients you didn't use in the experiment (specifically salt and flour in the first pic) :)

2. Multigrain rolls are best left in the main course and only white crescent rolls should be used in dessert recipes.

3. If you are going to dissolve brown sugar in melted butter, make sure you wait long enough for the sugar to actually dissolve before moving on in the recipe. The sugar was chunky on top of the rolls and the butter pooled around the rolls instead of becoming a united syrupy sauce. The overall taste was good but the texture wasn't quite right.

4. If you don't want your picture on my blog, don't take a picture of yourself while I'm cooking!

Stay tuned for new posts coming soon.

2 comments:

  1. I missed this post earlier somehow. Anyway, I like that you said "foodiestudenting" and thus invented a brand new verb. I guess you also invented a brand new recipe, but I like the verb part better because I'm a word nerd. I'm wordnerding. See, I can make new verbs too, you're not the only special one in the family.

    What was your post about again? Oh yeah, strawberries. Yummy.

    P.S. Hi, Vince.

    ReplyDelete